July 29, 2007

Asian Blepharoplasty

While I was studying at Waseda University, I wrote a paper and did a presentation on Asian Blepharoplasty, or the surgery used to create a double eyelid, and the social commentary surrounding body image. I created the above image thanks to the help of my classmates in a language class I was taking to illustrate the diversity of eye shapes and eye color and how the double eyelid, or lack there of, was perceived in an Asian society.

When I presented this image to my mostly Japanese classmates, I also asked for descriptive words that they could associate with the images of eyes. The most common descriptor for the eyes possessing a double eyelid was "awake", which is also one of the top reasons patients who elect for the double eyelid surgery give for wanting the procedure. For more information about plastic surgery in Asia, take a look at this article in Time Magazine, Changing Faces.

Social commentary aside, I found this image while organizing my files, thought it was interesting, and wanted to share.

Knitting is postponed until I finish packing up for my move back home tomorrow.

No comments: