October 02, 2007

All night at a manga cafe in Kabukicho!

I had a hard time not laughing out loud at Tokyo orientation when one of the orientation volunteers cautioned us against going to Kabukicho, the night district of Tokyo. Of all the places in Tokyo, outside of Takadanobaba, I think I know my way around Kabukicho the best.

Why? Where do you think the majority of the drinking parties were held when I was at Waseda? Also the Okadaya (large craft store) as well as the large 24 hour Don Quixote is located quite close as well.

We ended up picking a pretty nice manga cafe called Gran Cyber Cafe in the Oriental Passage building, because they had a shower room, and free ice cream.

One of the two main gates for Kabukicho.
My tiny padded flat for the night, complete with computer.

Unlimited free drinks, from melon soda to hot corn soup.

The manga cafe was actually pretty comfortable. However, I don't think I actually slept very much. There was so much manga to read, and internet to surf. Not to mention the free movies on demand and video games to play. I definitely recommend checking into a manga cafe if you want to spend a night in Tokyo. We stayed from 8:30pm to -8am for just under 35$ a person including a shower.

If you are planning on staying on a Friday, Saturday, or holiday weekend, make sure to get there before 10pm to get a spot. There are different kinds of seats, from a literal office chair desk set up, to a bench booth for two, to the flat style cubicles that we stayed in. I recommend the flat style, because you can lay down full out and sleep. Amenities include pay as you use showers and massage chairs, complimentary blankets, slippers, drinks and ice cream. If you want to shower, bring your own shampoo and toiletries, as they are not provided, and toothpaste. I recommend going with some one who speaks Japanese, as the staff rarely speaks English, and you cannot make reservations for the manga cafe. If one cafe is full, don't despair, there are several cafes in the same block area in Kabukicho.


No comments: